search

Burlington City Arts

Sculpture In The Community

Battery Park Extension, Battery Street
1974, marble
 
Paul Aschenbach didn’t believe in gallery culture and focused his attention on making work solely for outdoor sites, and ultimately, collaborative pieces. This piece was created in collaboration with Bill Ford, Terry Dinnan, John Watenberg, Bob Vesely, and several of Aschenbach’s UVM students. The design consists of five groupings of marble intentionally placed as a way to view the sunset through the crevices carved in the stones.

Photo by Michael Weizenegger

 
 

General William Wells

Battery Park, Battery Street
1914, bronze
 
This statue is a replica of an original erected in 1913 on the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania. In 1860, Wells joined the army and helped raise Company C, Vermont’s first regiment. He went on to become a state senator for Chittenden County. The statue is situated on a historic site that came under fire during the War of 1812 and is very near the site where Vermont soldiers gathered before leaving to fight in the Civil War.

Photo by Michael Weizenegge

 
 

Unfailing Dialogue

Waterfront Park
2009, stainless steel
 
The two intertwined stems of this sculpture symbolize the strong bonds between Québec and Vermont.  Leaves and letters represent complementarity and dialogue. 
This sculpture was offered by Québec to the State of Vermont on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's arrival to the lake that now bears his name.
It was unveiled on July 10, 2009

photo by Steve Mease

 
 

General George Stannard

Lakeview Cemetery, North Avenue
1891, bronze
 
This statue was erected over General Stannard’s grave site and commemorates the life of this Civil War hero. The General Stannard House stands at the northwest corner of Pearl and George Streets. Another replica of this piece can be found at Gettysburg.

Photo by Michael Weizenegger

 
 

Chief Grey Lock

Battery Park, Battery Street
1982, wood
 
Peter Toth created and donated a sculpture in every American state and Canadian province to commemorate the legacy of the Native American people. The Abenaki tribe of this area decided to name the piece after their last great warrior, Chief Grey Lock. It was Toth’s 47th statue in honor of Native Americans.

Photo by Michael Weizenegger

 
 

Burlington High School Sculpture Collection

52 Institute Road (Burlington High School)
 
Tree of Knowledge, 1992, copper and corten steel (Pictured left)
Column of Learning, 1993, copper and corten steel
Bell Structure, 1994, mixed media and corten steel
Naturalist Stone, 1997, stone

Photo by Michael Weizenegger

 
 

Traffic Signal Control Boxes

South Winooski and Pearl Street
2007, Acrylic
 

 
 

Pages